What do you think about eating skins of fruits and vegetables? I remember as a kid that my mom and grandma wanted me to eat the peel on my apple. I wasn’t a big fan of out that idea. Ryan can’t stand the hairy skin of a peach, but it really doesn’t bother me. My family prefers nectarines since they aren’t hairy. I think they’re racist.
But then there’s some fruits that are obnoxiously hairy, like a kiwi. That’s a non-negotiable one to me. The skin’s gotta go. In fact, it never even crossed my mind to eat the skin on a kiwi. Until one day I when I was riding the train. I’d been on board for a couple of days straight and I was just about to reach my destination. I stood by the door and anxiously watched for the station. However, I couldn’t help but notice that the lady next to me couldn’t have been more at ease peacefully eating her kiwi… like an apple, skin and all. Just think of that fuzz. GROSS!
Then there’s potatoes. Again, mom thought it would be a good idea to scrub the potato skins so we could eat them. I thought it was terrific how easy it was to dig my potato out of its skin. Who would want to eat that brown crusty stuff? I don’t think nutrition was my first priority at five years old.
But then, but then… there’s these terrific little red potatoes. So colorful, with such light and delicate skin. And they’re so beautiful in a fresh potato salad. Ok potatoes, I give. You win. Welcome into my colorful potato salad. Thank you for the nutrition you add, potato skins. Oh, and thank you for not being hairy.
- 8 medium-sized red skinned potatoes
- 1 C. vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 2 Tbsp. chopped chives (opt.)
- 2 Tbsp. vegan Baco Bits (opt.)
- Wash and chop red potatoes into 1/2 inch squares. Remember to scrub those skins!
- Bring water to a boil. Boil potatoes until soft, about 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, onion powder, salt, and vegan mayonnaise.
- Once potatoes are done, drain and rinse. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Pour mayonnaise mixture over top and stir. Use as much or as little as desired.
- Garnish with chopped chives and vegan Baco Bits. (Optional)
- Optional step: This is also fantastic with scrambled tofu added in, the same as in my Macaroni 'n Cheese recipe.
- Serve Chilled.
- Add in whatever goodies you like such as olives or celery.